Saturday, March 13, 2010

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies... with a couple of twists

Besides a good old fashioned chocolate chip cookie, nothing beats a classic peanut butter cookie, just like Mom used to make. You know what I am talking about it... perfect buttery tan color, criss-cross shapes pushed into the tops, rolled in sugar, yum right? This weekend my husband was wanting me to make these cookies. However, I did not have all the ingredients needed on hand, not wanting to run to the store, I grabbed my Better Homes and Garden Home Cookbook. Flipped through until I found the page, page 194. Interestingly enough pages 195-196 are missing, can't wait to see what recipe it was, must have been a past favorite. So I was all set to bake but WAIT! This recipe is missing a very important ingredient than the one my husband wanted... CHOCOLATE. So I decided to sprinkle a few chips on the tops. They were a hit!






1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
granulated sugar

In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer* on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg and vanilla till combined. Beat in as much as the flour as you can with mixer*. Stir in remaining flour. If necessary, cover and chill dough until easy to handle. Shape doll into 1 inch balls*, roll in the additional suagr to coat. Place balls 2 inched apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten by making crisscross marks with the tines of a fork. Bake at 275 for 7-9 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 36 cookies.

*My modifications: I do not have an electric so I mixed it all by hand. I rolled into 2" balls, sprinkled each cookie with 4-5 semi-sweet chocolate chips. I came up with about 18 cookies due to size modification.

No comments:

Post a Comment