Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lemon Spiral Cookies


One of my favorite stores is Mardel, I love to shop their bargain books section as well as the clearance shelf in the kids section. Recently I was browsing around and stumbled upon a box of recipes cards for kids. They are from Usborne and looked really cute. The idea is that one side has pretty pictures of all the treats, so the kids look at everything and decide what to make. Then you turn the card over for the recipe. Sounded fun and they were 50% off, who could resist? When we got home I let Oliver spread them out and look at them, he chose Lemon Swirl Cookies, which looked really fun. Oliver said he wanted to bring them to school for his class, so I let him know that we would need a lemon. For two days that is all he talked about, sweet lil guy, something to be said for perseverance. Daddy went and got a lemon, pronto. (I was sick so I was not willing to go walk around the grocery store, that is why I didn't go the 1st day.)

On Saturday we baked them. I learned a few lessons on this first "go around". I would have double the recipe, followed the directions and only refrigerate for 30 minutes. I couldn't roll the dough out as much as I would have liked, as a result when I rolled the two colors only the ends stayed "spirally" the rest looked as though the were happy faces with no eyes, lol. Also, I should have used a sharper knife when cutting, and finally I DIDN'T TAKE A PICTURE OF THE FINAL PRODUCT (duh)! They turned out yummy, the boys ate them all up on Sunday. All in all, I enjoyed doing this recipe, I will make it again, just make some adjustments, stay tuned...

Oliver and his lemon
butter and lemon yuminess
the recipe card underneath shows a picture of what they are supposed to look like
2 separate dough balls
Slicing after chilling


No comments:

Post a Comment